The NZCCP wishes you and your loved ones all the best for the challenges of the COVID-19 virus pandemic, the period of self-isolation, and the disruption to “psychological business as usual.” We are receptive to doing what we can to support members through this difficult time, so please be in touch.
Here are some links and resources that may be helpful:
- The Government has set up a COVID-19 portal for businesses. It includes links to materials from government agencies on a wide range of topics including Health, Travel, Worksafe, Employment, IRD, etc.
- The Ministry of Health’s website has a dedicated COVID-19 coronavirus page, which is frequently updated with the latest reliable information and advice on preparedness and response.
- Wellbeing Support for Frontline Health Workers: As part of the Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 National Psychosocial Campaign, HealthcareNZ is now providing free psychological support to frontline healthcare and support workers with to 5 free sessions via telehealth platforms. How are you feeling today? To book an appointment call 0800 820 080 or email@example.com.
- BPS Guidance for Psychological Professionals during Covid-19
- BPS Psychological needs of healthcare staff
NZ Psychologists Board’s document Best Practice Guideline – The Practice of Telepsychology is very useful for assisting us to practise online safely and effectively
More information can be found at the NZ Psychologists Board’s COVID 19 webpage (https://psychologistsboard.org.nz/for-practitioners/covid-19/)
Questions about Practising Under COVID-19 Conditions? The NZCCP, the Psychologists Board, and the NZ Psychological Society have worked together to give consistent responses to any questions psychologists have about providing psychology and neuropsychology services during the COVID-19 pandemic. The answers to these questions can be viewed at NZPB/NZCCP/NZPsS: COVID19 FAQ with RESPONSES
If you have questions about practising psychology during the COVID-19 Lockdown and subsequent levels, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and a group from the Board, the College, and the Society will attempt to answer them.
MPS has made allowances for the situation and “reassure that should you need to do a remote consultation with a patient whom you would ordinarily see face-to-face, your membership with Medical Protection will enable you to request assistance for matters that could arise from such consultations during this time.”
ACC has also approved Telehealth for additional service types for the duration of the COVID-19 response in the treatment of ACC’s clients accessing Integrated Services for Sensitive Claims, Psychological Services, and Clinical Psychiatric Services. Individual waivers to use Telehealth for these services will not be required for the duration of the COVID-19 response. For further information regarding ACC requirements please refer to the website.
Telepsychology "Pearls of Wisdom": For many of us, assessment and therapy by telepsychology is a new skill to learn. This document contains tips that have been gleaned from personal experience, relevant literature, and discussion with practitioners about how to make telepsychology as safe, effective, and sustainable as possible.
Several other NZ based resources are available that may assist people to learn more about online therapy and other aspects of practising during the pandemic:
- COVID-19 and Telehealth Provision for Health Providers
- Best practice guide for telehealth
- Sample Informed Consent for Telepsychology
- TOAH-NNEST has been working on developing guidelines for Telehealth. Click here to download the document
- Safe Network has shared their Teletherapy Policy as a great example of what organisations might need to have in place to support their clinical work with clients.
- Resource for checking draft reports during COVID-19 lockdown
- Christchurch Psychology: COVID-19 – Alert Level 2 – Health and Safety Guidelines
- Mental Health Foundation:Top tips for looking after mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19 and beyond.
- ALL RIGHT? Getting through this together
- Explaining Covid 19 to Kids
- Managing Stress & Anxiety in Times of Crisis
- Ministry of Health: 'Self-care and Support for NZers during Covid-19'
- Some tips for handling self-isolation during COVID-19
- Help us to fight COVID-19 in the Auckland Region. For opportunities to help Community – Health Professionals register here:
- Guidelines on the Psychological and Emotional Aspects of Covid 19 (EMDREurope)
- Guidelines EMDR Therapy online
Increase in scamming activity: Right now there is significant scamming activity going on and we urge people to be extra vigilant as fraudsters seek to exploit the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis. Click here for some information and advice about how to deal with these.