The NZCCP wishes you and your loved ones all the best for the challenges of the COVID-19 virus pandemic, the period of self-isolation, and the disruption to “psychological business as usual.” We are receptive to doing what we can to support members through this difficult time, so please be in touch.
Here are some links and resources that may be helpful:
- The Government has set up a COVID-19 portal for businesses. It includes links to materials from government agencies on a wide range of topics including Health, Travel, Worksafe, Employment, IRD, etc.
- The Ministry of Health’s website has a dedicated COVID-19 coronavirus page, which is frequently updated with the latest reliable information and advice on preparedness and response.
- BPS Guidance for Psychological Professionals during Covid-19
- BPS Psychological needs of healthcare staff
NZ Psychologists Board’s document Best Practice Guideline – The Practice of Telepsychology at http://www.psychologistsboard.org.nz/cms_show_download.php?id=244 is very useful for assisting us to practise online safely and effectively.
MPS has made allowances for the situation and “reassure that should you need to do a remote consultation with a patient whom you would ordinarily see face-to-face, your membership with Medical Protection will enable you to request assistance for matters that could arise from such consultations during this time.”
ACC has also approved Telehealth for additional service types for the duration of the COVID-19 response in the treatment of ACC’s clients accessing Integrated Services for Sensitive Claims, Psychological Services, and Clinical Psychiatric Services. Individual waivers to use Telehealth for these services will not be required for the duration of the COVID-19 response. For further information regarding ACC requirements please refer to the website.
Several other NZ based resources are available that may assist people to learn more about online therapy and other aspects of practising during the pandemic:
- COVID-19 and Telehealth Provision for Health Providers
- Best practice guide for telehealth
- Sample Informed Consent for Telepsychology
- TOAH-NNEST has been working on developing guidelines for Telehealth. Click here to download the document
- Safe Network has shared their Teletherapy Policy as a great example of what organisations might need to have in place to support their clinical work with clients.
- Mental Health Foundation:Top tips for looking after mental health and wellbeing during COVID-19 and beyond.
- Explaining Covid 19 to Kids
- Managing Stress & Anxiety in Times of Crisis
- Ministry of Health: 'Self-care and Support for NZers during Covid-19'
- Guidelines on the Psychological and Emotional Aspects of Covid 19 (EMDREurope)
- Guidelines EMDR Therapy online